Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 09:17:55 -0500 (CDT)
From: Ariadne Conill <ariadne@...eferenced.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
cc: Axel Beckert <abe@...ian.org>, lynx-dev@...gnu.org, security@...ian.org,
    991971@...s.debian.org
Subject: Re: Re: [Lynx-dev] bug in Lynx' SSL certificate
 validation -> leaks password in clear text via SNI (under some
 circumstances)

Hi,

On Sat, 7 Aug 2021, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

> Axel Beckert dixit:
>
>> This is more severe than it initially looked like: Due to TLS Server
>> Name Indication (SNI) the hostname as parsed by Lynx (i.e with
>> "user:pass@" included) is sent in _clear_ text over the wire even
>
> I *ALWAYS* SAID SNI IS A SHIT THING ONLY USED AS BAD EXCUSE FOR NAT
> BY PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO STUPID TO CONFIGURE THEIR SERVERS RIGHT AND AS
> BAD EXCUSE FOR LACKING IPv6 SUPPORT, AND THEN THE FUCKING IDIOTS WENT
> AND MADE SNI *MANDATORY* FOR TLSv1.3, AND I FEEL *SO* VINDICATED RIGHT
> NOW! IDIOTS IN CHARGE OF SECURITY, FUCKING IDIOTS…

It turns out SNI is only marginally related to this issue.  The issue
itself is far more severe: HTParse() does not understand the authn part of
the URI at all.  And so, when you call:

   HTParse("https://foo:bar@...mple.com", "", PARSE_HOST)

It returns:

   foo:bar@...mple.com

Which is then handed directly to SSL_set_tlsext_host_name() or
gnutls_server_name_set().  But it will also leak in the Host: header on
unencrypted connections, and also probably SSL ones too.

As a workaround, I taught HTParse() how to parse the authn part of URIs,
but Lynx itself needs to actually properly support the authn part really.

I have attached the patch Alpine is using to work around this infoleak.

Ariadne
View attachment "fix-auth-data-leaks.patch" of type "text/plain" (1480 bytes)