Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 14:23:26 -0600
From: "Jeremy Soller" <jeremy@...tem76.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Pop!_OS Membership to linux-distros list

I, Jeremy Soller,  would like to apply for membership to the linux-distros list
for Pop!_OS. I am the Principal Engineer at System76 in charge of Pop!_OS
development.

1. Be an actively maintained Unix-like operating system distro with substantial
use of Open Source components

Pop!_OS is an actively maintained Linux distribution. The vast majority of
the components of Pop!_OS are Open Source.

2. Have a userbase not limited to your own organization

Pop!_OS has a large userbase that exists outside of my organization, System76.

3. Have a publicly verifiable track record, dating back at least 1 year and
continuing to present day, of fixing security issues (including some that had
been handled on (linux-)distros, meaning that membership would have been
relevant to you) and releasing the fixes within 10 days (and preferably much
less than that) of the issues being made public (if it takes you ages to fix an
issue, your users wouldn't substantially benefit from the additional time,
often around 7 days and sometimes up to 14 days, that list membership could
give you)

Over the history of Pop!_OS, dating back to 2017, we have maintained critical
packages and applied security patches soon after they are made public. Our
membership to this list would significantly help our users stay secure by
allowing us to prepare and test security updates ahead of public disclosure.
Please see our GitHub organization for more evidence: https://github.com/pop-os

4. Not be (only) downstream or a rebuild of another distro (or else we need
convincing additional justification of how the list membership would enable you
to release fixes sooner, presumably not relying on the upstream distro having
released their fixes first?)

While Pop!_OS is presently based on Ubuntu and Debian, we maintain a number of
packages independently, including but not limited to:

- flatpak
- fwupd
- gdm3
- gnome-control-center
- gnome-initial-setup
- gnome-shell
- gnome-settings-daemon
- gnome-terminal
- linux
- linux-firmware
- mutter
- systemd
- virtualbox

Many of these packages have had coordinated disclosures that we were not a part
of, but would have benifted from being a part of. Ubuntu or Debian changes
relevant to these packages are not required to backport security patches to
Pop!_OS.

5. Be a participant and preferably an active contributor in relevant public
communities (most notably, if you're not watching for issues being made public
on oss-security, which are a superset of those that had been handled on
(linux-)distros, then there's no valid reason for you to be on (linux-)distros)

I have on occasion contributed to some of the projects listed above. I watch
them all for relevant security patches. I am subscribed to the oss-security
mailing list.

6. Accept the list policy (see above)

I accept the list policy.

7. Be able and willing to contribute back (see above), preferably in specific
ways announced in advance (so that you're responsible for a specific area and
so that we know what to expect from which member), and demonstrate actual
contributions once you've been a member for a while

I am able and willing to contribute back.

8. Be able and willing to handle PGP-encrypted e-mail

I am able and willing to handle PGP-encrypted e-mail. Here is the PGP public
key for jeremy@...tem76.com:

9. Have someone already on the private list, or at least someone else who has
been active on oss-security for years but is not affiliated with your distro
nor your organization, vouch for at least one of the people requesting
membership on behalf of your distro (then that one vouched-for person will be
able to vouch for others on your team, in case you'd like multiple people
subscribed)

I do not know if I have contacts that are already on the linux-distros list.