Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 10:08:07 +0200
From: Mariusz Felisiak <felisiak.mariusz@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Django: CVE-2021-35042: Potential SQL injection via unsanitized
 QuerySet.order_by() input

https://www.djangoproject.com/weblog/2021/jul/01/security-releases/

In accordance with `our security release policy
<https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/internals/security/>`_, the
Django team
is issuing
`Django 3.2.5 <https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/3.2.5/>`_ and
`Django 3.1.13 <https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/3.1.13/>`_.
These releases address the security issue with severity "high" detailed
below. We encourage all users of Django to upgrade as soon as possible.

CVE-2021-35042: Potential SQL injection via unsanitized
``QuerySet.order_by()`` input

Unsanitized user input passed to ``QuerySet.order_by()`` could bypass
intended
column reference validation in path marked for deprecation resulting in a
potential SQL injection even if a deprecation warning is emitted.

As a mitigation the strict column reference validation was restored for the
duration of the deprecation period. This regression appeared in 3.1 as a
side
effect of fixing `#31426 <https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/31426>`_.

The issue is not present in the main branch as the deprecated path has been
removed.

Thanks to Joel Saunders for the report.

Affected supported versions
===========================

* Django 3.2
* Django 3.1

Resolution
==========

Patches to resolve the issue have been applied to Django's 3.2 and 3.1
release branches. The patches may be obtained from the
following changesets:

* On the `3.2 release branch
<https://github.com/django/django/commit/a34a5f724c5d5adb2109374ba3989ebb7b11f81f>`__
* On the `3.1 release branch
<https://github.com/django/django/commit/0bd57a879a0d54920bb9038a732645fb917040e9>`__

The following releases have been issued:

* Django 3.2.5 (`download Django 3.2.5
<https://www.djangoproject.com/m/releases/3.2/Django-3.2.5.tar.gz>`_ |
`3.2.5 checksums
<https://www.djangoproject.com/m/pgp/Django-3.2.5.checksum.txt>`_)
* Django 3.1.13 (`download Django 3.1.13
<https://www.djangoproject.com/m/releases/3.1/Django-3.1.13.tar.gz>`_ |
`3.1.13 checksums
<https://www.djangoproject.com/m/pgp/Django-3.1.13.checksum.txt>`_)

The PGP key ID used for this release is Mariusz Felisiak:
`2EF56372BA48CD1B <https://github.com/felixxm.gpg>`_.

General notes regarding security reporting