Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 11:01:54 -0400
From: "David A. Wheeler" <dwheeler@...eeler.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: security@...ian.org
Subject: Re: xscreensaver package caps gets raw socket

On Apr 18, 2021, at 8:25 AM, Simon McVittie <smcv@...ian.org> wrote:

> That's consistent with the principle of least-privilege, and the widely
> cited Unix philosophy of having programs that do one thing well.
>
> If you need to gain privileges, then I think that's a much, much better
> approach - ideally a new ping-like program that prints a machine-readable
> syntax rather than having to screen-scrape human-readable output, but
> if that's not available then ping itself is the next best thing.

I agree, running “ping” in a separate process
is FAR better than giving the “main” process
extra permissions it doesn’t actually need.
You’d have to be careful about the parameters sent, but that’s necessary anyway.
I don’t see the problem of calling /bin/ping, that sounds like the right answer.

Scraping is undesirable, but sometimes needed. If this is a common need, a
long-term solution might be to create an option on ping to generate a standard
format that’s easier to machine-parse.

--- David A. Wheeler