Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 13:13:59 +0200
From: Otto Moerbeek <otto.moerbeek@...n-xchange.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: PowerDNS Recursor 4.3.5, 4.2.5. and 4.1.18 released fixing a cache
 pollution issue (CVE-2020-25829)

Hello!,

Today we are releasing PowerDNS Recursor 4.3.5, 4.2.5. and 4.1.18,
containing a security fix for CVE-2020-25829[1]:

An issue has been found in PowerDNS Recursor where a remote attacker
can cause the cached records for a given name to be updated to the
Bogus DNSSEC validation state, instead of their actual DNSSEC Secure
state, via a DNS ANY query. This results in a denial of service for
installations that always validate (dnssec=validate) and for clients
requesting validation when on-demand validation is enabled
(dnssec=process). The severity is high for these cases.

As usual, there were also other smaller enhancements and
bugfixes. Please refer to the 4.3.5 changelog[2], 4.2.5 changelog[3]
and 4.1.18 changelog[4] for details.

The 4.3.5 tarball[5] (signature[6]), 4.2.5 tarball[7] (signature[8])
and 4.1.18 tarball[9] (signature[10]) are available at our download
site[11] and packages for CentOS 6, 7 and 8, Debian Stretch and
Buster, Ubuntu Xenial and Bionic are available from our
repository[12].

4.0 and older releases are EOL, refer to the documentation[13] for details
about our release cycles.

Please send us all feedback and issues you might have via the mailing
list[14], or in case of a bug, via GitHub[15].

Regards,

 -Otto and the PowerDNS Team

[1] https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/security-advisories/powerdns-advisory-2020-07.html
[2] https://doc.powerdns.com/recursor/changelog/4.3.html#change-4.3.5