Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 14:30:20 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Gentoo's "contributing back" linux-distros tasks

Hi,

Gentoo signed up for these "contributing back" tasks for linux-distros:

9. Stay on top of issues to ensure progress is being made, remind others
when there's no apparent progress, as well as when the public disclosure
date for an issue is approaching and when it's finally reached (unless
the reporter beats you to it by making their mandatory posting to
oss-security first) - primary: Gentoo, backup: Amazon

11. Make sure the mandatory oss-security posting is made promptly and is
sufficiently detailed, and remind the reporter if not - primary: Gentoo,
backup: Amazon

12. If exploit(s) were shared on the list, make sure that either they're
included in the oss-security posting along with the issue detail or the
posting includes an announcement of planned later posting of the
exploits (with the delay being within list policy), and in the latter
case also make sure that the later posting is in fact made as planned,
and remind the reporter if not - primary: Gentoo, backup: Amazon

13. Keep track of per-report and per-issue handling and disclosure
timelines (at least times of notification of the private list and of
actual public disclosure), at regular intervals produce and share
statistics (most notably, the average embargo duration) as well as the
raw data (except on issues that are still under embargo) by posting to
oss-security - primary: Gentoo, backup: Amazon

and we saw some contributions from Gentoo on these, most notable being
their work on the statistics (task 13 above):

Unfortunately, the last update of these statistics ("Last modified:
2019/10/15 01:52 by kristianf") is also when the contributions ceased.

Some others have been taking care of tasks 9, 11, 12 (in particular,
Anthony Liguori of Amazon has been helping, but on various occasions
also many others from other distros), but not yet of task 13.

I understand that Gentoo is a community project run by volunteers, and I
am not complaining.  Rather, I think we need to discuss with Gentoo in
here and reassign to other distros whatever responsibilities Gentoo no
longer has resources for.  We should ideally keep at least one task
Gentoo's responsibility (and Gentoo should have specific people assigned
to that task), at least to be consistent with our current requirements
for new distros joining (linux-)distros.

To Gentoo: which of these tasks, or other "contributing back" tasks, are
you (still) willing to handle, and who on your team would handle them?

To others on linux-distros: which of the above tasks do you volunteer to
become primary for?

To Amazon: do you want to remain backup for task 13, or do you not have
the resources to handle it?

If Gentoo already has some work-in-progress on task 13 for October 2019
and on, yet we reassign this task to another distro, then that data and
instructions should probably be transferred to the other distro.

Alexander