Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 10:37:08 +0200
From: Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>
To: Georgi Guninski <gguninski@...il.com>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, itz@...y.loosely.org
Subject: Re: major changes if gnu/linux dominates the desktop
 and/or mobile market?

On Tue, Oct 06, 2020 at 11:29:34AM +0300, Georgi Guninski wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 at 3:44 PM Greg KH <greg@...ah.com> wrote:
> >

> > "if"?  You do know the market share of Linux-based mobile phones, right?
> > Last I looked, it made the Linux server market quantity a rounding error :)
> >

> AINL!
>
> Android Is Not Linux!

<pedantic>

Linux is a kernel.  And also commonly used as a name to describe a
system running that kernel, to make it easier for people to talk about,
and discuss overall.

Android runs on, and requires at this point in time, the Linux kernel,
so one can say that Android is a successful implementation of Linux on
mobile devices.  It's also widely successful, so much so that it dwarfs
any other installed Linux system out there by orders of magnitude.  So
why ignore it as a valid Linux system?

The fact that I can run a userspace based on a "traditional" Linux
system (like Debian), on an Android device, with no file conflicts, is a
great engineering success, don't you think?

</pedantic>

> https://www.theregister.com/2015/06/17/debian_chromium_hubbub/
> Chrome, Debian Linux, and the secret binary blob download riddle
> Browser snuck proprietary voice-snoop code into distro

I don't understand the question here, that was something over 5 years
ago.  How is that relevant for "mobile devices" that run Linux today?

thanks,

greg k-h