Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2020 17:21:44 +0200
From: Bastian Blank <bblank@...nkmo.de>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Voiding CVE-2020-16248

Hi Richard

On Sat, Aug 08, 2020 at 10:49:14AM +0200, Richard Hartmann wrote:
> the Prometheus project[1] has received a public "vulnerability"
> report[2] against what the reporter called SSRF, but what is the core
> functionality of blackbox_exporter[3]: The ability to trigger network
> probes over the network to monitor a target's availability.

Could you please explain yourself why you think this is not a
vulnerability?  Even wanted functuality can constitute a vulnerability
if looked on closer.

The software allows to send pre-defined requests to arbitrary targets
and extract at least parts of the response.  This is a typical SSRF.
Would you require to specify the allowed targets, noone would ask.

>                                                        From context,
> it seems to be a paid assessment of our software for an unnamed client
> which increases motivation to get "results", in particular CVEs for
> "zero days" - which are then promptly reported publicly with an
> embargoed CVE.

Please don't.  You just accused the reporter of malpractice on a public
forum.  JFYI, this is punishable in your jurisdiction.

Also embargo and posting a public issue on GitHub don't really mix.

> The reporter has not replied to our statement that this behaviour is
> core functionality. I could not find out which organization has
> reserved CVE-2020-16248 so I decided to send email to this list to
> inform the organization, enabling them to update their records.

You did not address the reporter at all.  The reporter is also not a
regular user of GitHub, where this issue was raised.

> Sorry for using this list for that purpose, I could not find a less
> wrong place to inform the (hopefully) interested parties.

As others already told you, Mitre provides a form to request updates to
CVE entries at https://cve.mitre.org/cve/update_cve_entries.html.

Regards,
Bastian

--
Our way is peace.
		-- Septimus, the Son Worshiper, "Bread and Circuses",