Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2020 16:41:37 +0200
From: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason@...c4.com>
To: security@...ntu.com, oss-security <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: ansi escape sequence injection into ubuntu's add-apt-repository

Hi,

I've found a rather low grade concern: I'm able to inject ANSI escape
sequences into PPA descriptions on Launchpad, and then have them
rendered by add-apt-repository *before* the user consents to actually
adding that repository. There might be some sort of trust barrier
issue with that. This could be used to clear the screen and imitate a
fresh bash prompt, upload files, dump the current screen to a file, or
other classic shenanigans, well chronicled in the archives of oss-sec.

PoC time -- I'm using this "feature" for good at the moment to
announce the deprecation in bold text of a PPA that I maintain:
https://data.zx2c4.com/add-apt-repository-ansi-injection.png

The proper fix to this is likely to do sanitization on the
add-apt-repository side.

Regards,
Jason