Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:39:09 -0400
From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Perl 5.32.0 mishandling of rpath and runpath tokens

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 10:57 AM Phil Pennock
<oss-security-phil@...dhuis.org> wrote:

> On 2020-07-20 at 04:33 -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 4:21 AM Jeffrey Walton <noloader@...il.com> wrote:
> > >     -Wl,-R,$ORIGIN/../lib -Wl,-R,$HOME/tmp/ok2delete/lib
> >
> > My bad... It does not matter how this $ORIGIN token is quoted. Perl
> > always expands it.
>
> I've encountered this in build systems before, where the quoting is
> inconsistent and apparently can result in different levels of dequoting
> for a target depending upon how it was reached.
>
> What I've used for building those has been to specify %ORIGIN instead of
> $ORIGIN and then binary-edit the resulting binary to switch that % back
> to a $.  All quoting issues disappear and all binary offsets are stable.
> Just make sure the binary-edit step is before any binary signing. :)
>
> At some point, it's also worth considering static linking.

Yeah, I was doing the alternate character for a while. Then Perl came
along and I could not figure out all the places it needed to be
changed. They spray the rpath in more places than just Makefiles, and
they build Makefiles on the fly. I found it's not a simple task to sed
the alternate character back out after, say, configure.

Related, see https://sourceware.org/pipermail/binutils/2019-June/107108.html.

Jeff