Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 15:10:55 +0300
From: PromiseLabs Pentest Research <pentest@...miselabs.net>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: spoofing of local email sender via a homoglyph attack

Hi,

The provided versions seem to be wrong on this request, sorry for this.

The exact version is from the postfix-2.10.1-7.el7.x86_64 package, thus
the version stated in the CVE should be 2.10.1.

---
PLPR:
Plamen Dimitrov
Penetration Tester, CEH & OSCP certified

Promise Solutions LTD
Penetration Testing and Managed Security services

https://www.promisedev.com
https://www.promiselabs.net
+359 883 22 05 12

On 2020-04-22 18:20, cve-request@...re.org wrote:

> The CVE ID is below. As far as we know, 3.3.0-1 is not a commonly
> used version. Please see the "[Reference]" section below.
>
>> [Suggested description]
>> A certain Postfix 3.3.0-1 package could allow an attacker to send
>> an email from an arbitrary-looking sender via a homoglyph attack,
>> as demonstrated by the similarity of \xce\xbf to the 'o' character.

>> [Additional Information]
>> Postfix allows an email from unsanitized input, pretending to be from
>> an existing user on the mail system, which may look exactly the same.
>> For example, it is possible sending an email using the hex character
>> \xce\ xbf, which looks exactly like the letter 'o'. In case the user
>> john.doe exists on the mail server, postfix would not allow to send an
>> email from this email account unless an unauthorized attempt is made.
>> However, in case we substitute the letter 'o' with the hex character
>> \xce\xbf, it will look exactly like it's being sent from john.doe,
>> although john.doe (j<\xce\xbf)hn.doe) is actually different from
>> the other.

>> [Vulnerability Type]
>> Incorrect Access Control

>> [Vendor of Product]
>> postfix

>> [Affected Product Code Base]
>> postfix 3.3.0-1 - 3.3.0-1

>> [Affected Component]
>> postfix mail server

>> [Attack Type]
>> Remote

>> [Discoverer]
>> d7x, Promise Solutions LTD / www.promiselabs.net [1]

>> [Reference]
>> https://www.promiselabs.net
>> https://repology.org/project/postfix/versions
>> http://www.postfix.org/announcements.html
>
> Use CVE-2020-12063.
>
> - --
> CVE Assignment Team
> M/S M300, 202 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730 USA
> [ A PGP key is available for encrypted communications at
> http://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html ]

Links:
------
[1] http://www.promiselabs.net