Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 12:33:34 -0400
From: "Stuart D. Gathman" <stuart@...hman.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: spoofing of local email sender via a homoglyph
 attack

On Thu, 2020-04-23 at 17:32 +0300, PromiseLabs Pentest Research wrote:

> is that it could be used to advance a social-engineer attack into
> tricking the recipients believing that they are getting an email from
> high-level position at the company.
>
> It's related to the from header.

This is not really job of postfix to block.  It is trivial to block
internationalized local mail in a milter (note: I maintain pymilter) -
or just refuse to create non-ascii mailboxes.

You don't even need utf-
8 for this attack - the infamous Arial font makes homoglyphs like lBM
(which looks exactly like IBM in Arial) possible, and email localpart
is case sensitive.  So I also recommend forcing all local mailboxes to
be all lower case.  (Some businesses force to all upper case instead.)

If anything, this is a security bug in the *font* (which the term
homoglyph implies), and the CVE should specify the problematic font or
fonts.