Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2020 15:39:33 +1100
From: Ulisses Albuquerque <ulisses.montenegro@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, Jeffrey Walton <noloader@...il.com>
Subject: Re: Deficient engineering processes

In my experience, specific advice and recommendations trump generic advice
every single time. If your teams are failing to meet quality standards,
identify those individually, document what failed and how it could be
addressed, and *only then* show how a more structured approach would solve
the issues. This can also be an interesting exercise for you, as going
through specific problems and correlating those to the proposed
"engineering best practices" might make you realise that those would not
actually solve the problems.

More than anything, though, be empathetic. Approach teams with a "can you
talk me through your process" rather than with a "you are doing it wrong"
angle. People are far more likely to accept input when you hear them first,
and they might even be upfront about known shortcomings of their current
approach.

Regards

--
“If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming
must be the process of putting them in.” - *Edsger Dijkstra*