Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2020 13:27:11 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE-2020-7221: mariadb: possible local mysql to root user exploit in mysql_install_db script setting permissions of /usr/lib64/mysql/plugin/auth_pam_tool_dir/auth_pam_tool

On Tue, Feb 04, 2020 at 11:26:04AM +0100, Matthias Gerstner wrote:
> For Deb/RPM packaging MariaDB continues to suggest to use the following
> dir and file modes [2], [3]:
>
> mysql:root  0700 /usr/lib/mysql/plugin/auth_pam_tool_dir
>  root:root 04755 /usr/lib/mysql/plugin/auth_pam_tool_dir/auth_pam_tool
>
> I personally suggest the following directory mode instead:
>
> root:mysql  0750 /usr/lib/mysql/plugin/auth_pam_tool_dir

Why not simply

root:mysql 04710 /usr/lib/mysql/plugin/auth_pam_tool

without the directory?  I see only one reason: it's a bigger change
relative to the current implementation, which is more work now, but
perhaps this cleanup is worth it longer-term.

The approach with a directory (or several) is sometimes useful to limit
access to a file yet avoid use of ACLs, but the case above looks simple
enough not to require this complication.

Alexander