Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 09:42:45 +0100
From: Matthias Gerstner <matthias.gerstner@...e.de>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE-2020-7040: storeBackup: denial of service and
 symlink attack vector via fixed lockfile path /tmp/storeBackup.lock

Hi Nick,

> > storeBackup [1] is a tool for performing disk-to-disk backups.
> [...]
> > [1]: http://storebackup.org
>
> Er ... when I looked just now, the page at that URL began :
>
> > How to Create Cryptocurrency – Simple Strategy
>
> and continued:
>
> > Everyone is aware of the bitcoin which is the cryptocurrency
> > trending in the world of IT
>
> In "the world of IT" we are instantly wondering who exactly has
> written this webpage about a backup utility ....   Should we tell the
> site owner his site may have been stolen ?

Hmm I never bothered to look deeper into the website but now that you're
pointing to it, it looks strange. I can give the upstream author a hint,
to check up on his website.

This storeBackup project is near-dead anyways, sadly. There seem to be
some die hard fans out there that use it, but the author only manages to
send out one email roughly every week. There seems to be no code
repository for it so we're getting tarballs - not even patches.

Thank you for the hint. If I get any more information about the
situation of the website I will get back to you.

Cheers

Matthias

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (834 bytes)