Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 10:16:45 -0500
From: Jorge Lucangeli Obes <jorgelo@...gle.com>
To: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
Cc: Kees Cook <kees@...ntu.com>, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: linux-distros membership adjustment/vouching

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 12:47 PM Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 12:52:41PM -0800, Kees Cook wrote:
> > I've been a member of linux-distros for a long while, and my hat has
> > slowly changed over that time. I'm subscribed there (and here) as
> > kees@...ntu.com.  When I my responsibilities shifted from the Ubuntu
> > Security Team to the Chrome OS Security Team, I just kept the email
> > address (since it's a community address and I'm still part of the Ubuntu
> > community).
> >
> > However, as my responsibilities have shifted, I'm much less involved
> > with the Chrome OS Security Team, and it was recently pointed out that
> > no one else from the Chrome OS Security Team is (to our knowledge)
> > a member right now.
> >
> > So, attempting to solve things in a backwards order, I'd like to first
> > vouch for a Chrome OS Security Team member who is already on oss-security,
> > with the goal of having them added to the linux-distros list:
> >
> >     Jorge Lucangeli Obes <jorgelo@...gle.com>
>
> Given the above, I'd be happy to subscribe Jorge for Chrome OS.  I just
> need Jorge's PGP key.  I also suggest using an e-mail address not on
> Google's MX'es, because those reject messages sent from domains with
> strict DMARC policy (most notably, when another Googler posts).

Thanks all. I'm actually on oss-security with my chromium.org account
(jorgelo@...omium.org), let me figure out (before EoW for sure) what
email will be best suited for this and send the associated PGP key.

> Normally such subscription changes for an already subscribed distro are
> handled off-list.  However, what you bring up below deserves being
> discussed on oss-security:
>
> > Then I'd like to figure out what to do with my own membership. I'm
> > still associated with Ubuntu, Chrome OS, and Android but I don't have
> > "official" responsibilities as a representative of their respective
> > security teams. I am, however, an upstream Linux kernel security contact
> > (but that doesn't qualify as a "Unix-like operating system distro", from
> > item "1" in the membership criteria[1]). I am still involved in fixing,
> > notifying, negotiating, delegating, etc, in these various distros. Should
> > I stay on linux-distros? I would prefer to (it makes that work simpler),
> > but since there isn't any "criteria for continuing membership" on the
> > Wiki, I'm not entirely sure what the right course of action should be.
>
> I think it'd be most consistent with our criteria so far if (at least)
> one of those distros' security teams does state that you'd represent
> them.  Without that, you staying on linux-distros would be weird and
> inconsistent with requirements we set for others.

Despite Kees' evolving responsibilities, I still consider (and trust)
Kees to represent Chrome OS security. Moreover, organizationally Kees
belongs to the same team as myself and the other Chrome OS security
folks at Google, so I see no conflicts or contradictions here.

> > (And if I stay, perhaps it would be more accurate to use kees@...nel.org?)
>
> It'd be up to you to choose an e-mail address that's convenient for
> you.  Messages are encrypted anyway, so this choice sort of does not
> matter for security.  In practice, though, it does matter a little bit:
> if you choose an e-mail address in a specific distro's domain name, then
> if you ever leave their team and they disable that e-mail account you
> wouldn't be getting the messages anymore (and they wouldn't be able to
> read messages intended for you as well, due to the encryption to your
> key), even if they forget to promptly ask for your address to be removed
> from the list.  Despite of this minor security advantage, I don't insist
> on use of such e-mail addresses so far, as I realize it's often far more
> convenient to use an external e-mail address.
>
> As to kernel.org, it isn't particularly relevant here since the Linux
> kernel is not a Linux distro.  It's just an address you can use, just
> like any other address.
>
> Alexander

Thanks,
Jorge