Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 12:14:50 -0500
From: Aditya Sirish Arunkumar Yelgundhalli <asy278@....edu>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Mitigating malicious packages in gnu/linux

Hi,

My name is Aditya, and I represent the NYU Secure Systems Lab, where we
actively research and develop solutions for the kind of problems discussed
in this thread.

In particular, we believe that a combination of The Update Framework (TUF)
and in-toto will help to address the problem of malicious packages. TUF is
the technology that ensures that packages have not been tampered between
the repository and end-users, whereas in-toto is the technology that
ensures that packages have been built correctly by the CI/CD using source
code signed by developers, securing the software supply chain end to end. A
critical property of both technologies is that they are fundamentally
designed to be resilient against a compromise of some signing keys in the
system. By combining both TUF and in-toto [X], it is possible for a Linux
distribution to guarantee that packages have not been tampered with
anywhere between developers and end-users, despite being built and
distributed by machines.

TUF is the de-facto standard for signing container images, used by Docker,
IBM, and Microsoft. It is also being used by Google to update everything on
their next-gen Fuchsia OS. A version of TUF called Uptane has been
standardized for use by North American ground vehicles [Y]. in-toto is
being used to verify reproducible builds for Debian packages.

We would be happy to help your community integrate both technologies, if so
desired. Let us know if you have questions!

Thanks,

Aditya

[X]
https://www.datadoghq.com/blog/engineering/secure-publication-of-datadog-agent-integrations-with-tuf-and-in-toto/