Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 22:44:16 +0000
From: Stiepan <stie@...tonmail.ch>
To: "oss-security@...ts.openwall.com" <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Security fixes from Android 10 release which are relevant outside the Android ecosystem?

As someone who used Android & did my studies on how to secure it and what was missing for that, I can say that Androids still dream of electric blowfishes - or rather threefish-512 ;) - and will do so for a while, especially now that the only part that was open seems is no more. By that virtue, it lost the biggest  advantage it had versus the better polished iOS. And doing that helps red-scarfed black-hats, who can hack into most of the open-source Android variants, which would not be the case if the latter had access to up to date, well-vetted security infos (unlike that late 2018 fix that made it even more vulnerable), and that extends to linux-distros by the by. Embargoes are bad.
Sure, that made me buy an iPhone, which is good commercially for Apple and I salute their privacy makeup*, but being forced to do so as the collateral victim of a trade war is less cool.
*as in definition 6 of the wordreference entry for that word, "A special examination for a student who has been absent ...".