Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 16:28:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Stuart D. Gathman" <stuart@...hman.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Linux kernel: multiple vulnerabilities in the
 USB subsystem x2

Since we're arguing...  What would worry me is an exploit where I allow
a friend to connect their USB flash drive, it operates normally to all
appearances.  Nothing is auto-executed by a stupid OS (like the Iran
centrifuge worm).  But, the device is able to insert some privileged
code through low level protocol bugs - all while operating normally as
a USB storage device.  It is not obvious how any of the USB bugs just
reported could be exploited that way - but anytime you have buffer
overflows and stuff, some evil genius might find a way.  I also worry
about file system bugs doing something similar on any removeable media,
or downloaded image.

--
 	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@...hman.org>