Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 15:00:54 -0400
From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@...rmont.com>
To: Eddie Chapman <eddie@...k.net>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Linux kernel: multiple vulnerabilities in the
 USB subsystem x2

On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 19:44:50 +0100 Eddie Chapman <eddie@...k.net>
wrote:
> On 22/08/2019 18:57, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> > Android phones run Linux. People routinely plug those phones in
> > to USB charging stations in airports, on airplanes, at booths in
> > public places, etc.
>
> I would argue that this kind of behaviour is far too trusting and
> asking for trouble.

You can argue anything you like. Power charging points have popped up
around the world, and you're not in a position to stop
them. Furthermore, I'll note that over the air exploitable bugs in
things like WiFi stacks and Bluetooth stacks have also appeared over
time; perhaps it's foolish to have your phone on at all, and yet
people will continue to turn their phones on, and even to use them.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@...rmont.com