Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2019 09:57:33 +0200
From: Mariusz Felisiak <felisiak.mariusz@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Django: CVE-2019-12781: Incorrect HTTP detection with reverse-proxy
 connecting via HTTPS

https://www.djangoproject.com/weblog/2019/jul/01/security-releases/

In accordance with `our security release policy
<https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/internals/security/>`_, the
Django team is issuing `Django 1.11.22
<https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/1.11.22/>`_, `Django
2.1.10 <https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/2.1.10/>`_, and
`Django 2.2.3 <https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/2.2.3/>`_.
These releases addresses the security issues detailed below. We
encourage all users of Django to upgrade as soon as possible.

Thanks Gavin Wahl for reporting this issue.

CVE-2019-12781: Incorrect HTTP detection with reverse-proxy connecting
via HTTPS

When deployed behind a reverse-proxy connecting to Django via HTTPS,
``django.http.HttpRequest.scheme`` would incorrectly detect client
requests made via HTTP as using HTTPS. This entails incorrect results
for ``is_secure()``, and ``build_absolute_uri()``, and that HTTP
requests would not be redirected to HTTPS in accordance with
``SECURE_SSL_REDIRECT``.

``HttpRequest.scheme`` now respects ``SECURE_PROXY_SSL_HEADER``, if it
is configured, and the appropriate header is set on the request, for
both HTTP and HTTPS requests.

If you deploy Django behind a reverse-proxy that forwards HTTP requests,
and that connects to Django via HTTPS, be sure to verify that your
application
correctly handles code paths relying on ``scheme``, ``is_secure()``,
``build_absolute_uri()``, and ``SECURE_SSL_REDIRECT``.

Affected supported versions
===========================

* Django master development branch
* Django 2.2 before version 2.2.3
* Django 2.1 before version 2.1.10
* Django 1.11 before version 1.11.22

Resolution
==========

Patches to resolve the issue have been applied to Django's master branch
and the 2.2, 2.1, and 1.11 release branches. The patches may be obtained
from the following changesets:

* On the `master branch
<https://github.com/django/django/commit/54d0f5e62f54c29a12dd96f44bacd810cbe03ac8>`__
* On the `2.2 release branch
<https://github.com/django/django/commit/77706a3e4766da5d5fb75c4db22a0a59a28e6cd6>`__
* On the `2.1 release branch
<https://github.com/django/django/commit/1e40f427bb8d0fb37cc9f830096a97c36c97af6f>`__
* On the `1.11 release branch
<https://github.com/django/django/commit/32124fc41e75074141b05f10fc55a4f01ff7f050>`__

The following releases have been issued:

* Django 1.11.22 (`download Django 1.11.22
<https://www.djangoproject.com/m/releases/1.11/Django-1.11.22.tar.gz>`_
| `1.11.22 checksums
<https://www.djangoproject.com/m/pgp/Django-1.11.22.checksum.txt>`_)
* Django 2.1.10 (`download Django 2.1.10
<https://www.djangoproject.com/m/releases/2.1/Django-2.1.10.tar.gz>`_ |
`2.1.10 checksums
<https://www.djangoproject.com/m/pgp/Django-2.1.10.checksum.txt>`_)
* Django 2.2.3 (`download Django 2.2.3
<https://www.djangoproject.com/m/releases/2.2/Django-2.2.3.tar.gz>`_ |
`2.2.3 checksums
<https://www.djangoproject.com/m/pgp/Django-2.2.3.checksum.txt>`_)

The PGP key ID used for this release is Mariusz Felisiak: 2EF56372BA48CD1B.

General notes regarding security reporting

As always, we ask that potential security issues be reported via
private email to ``security@...ngoproject.com``, and not via Django's
Trac instance, Django's GitHub repositories, or the django-developers list.
Please see `our security policies
<https://www.djangoproject.com/security/>`_
for further information.