Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 18:27:30 +0200
From: Alexander Potapenko <glider@...gle.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Thousands of vulnerabilities, almost no CVEs: OSS-Fuzz

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 5:44 PM Bob Friesenhahn
<bfriesen@...ple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jun 2019, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
> >
> > So what are community thoughts on automatic CVE assignment?
> > That would definitely get some attention to these bugs by vendors
> > (because that's open CVEs in their products then). And this should be
> > implementable because both OSS-Fuzz and syzbot are automated enough
> > already. However I afraid that these CVEs may be as automatically
> > sorted into a trashcan then :)
>
> An excess of CVEs would cause CVEs to be not very meaningful any more.
>
> Most oss-fuzz issue detections are not CVE worthy.  For example, a
> one-byte read "heap overflow" is not likely to cause any actual harm
> but oss-fuzz would classify it as "heap overflow".
There's enough information in the report though to assign the severity
score depending on the access size, its type (read or write) the call
stack etc.
OSS-Fuzz deliberately doesn't do that now, but such scoring can be
done to prune the list of potential CVE candidates.

--
Alexander Potapenko
Software Engineer

Google Germany GmbH
Erika-Mann-Straße, 33
80636 München

Geschäftsführer: Paul Manicle, Halimah DeLaine Prado
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg