Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2019 15:22:22 -0400
From: Alex Gaynor <alex.gaynor@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Thousands of vulnerabilities, almost no CVEs: OSS-Fuzz

You are completely right that this is not a novel phenomenon, though I
think the scale at which OSS-Fuzz has found vulnerabilities has genuinely
exacerbated this problem.

While it's true, some of the bugs found will not be exploitable, I think we
should not be overly dismissive.
https://scarybeastsecurity.blogspot.com/2016/11/0day-exploit-advancing-exploitation.html
is
an example of such a script-less exploit.
https://scarybeastsecurity.blogspot.com/2017/05/bleed-continues-18-byte-file-14k-bounty.html
is
an example of exploiting use of uninitialized value (one of the most common
bug classes in OSS-Fuzz, probably because so few people test with MSAN).

I think you're quite right that the central challenge here is the mismatch
between how Linux distributions operate and what their claims/people's
expectations are.

Alex

PS: I'd be remiss if I didn't at least mention that basically all the bug
classes we're discussing are induced by C/C++'s memory unsafety and better
programming language prevent them outright.

--
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing.