Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 14:55:18 +0100
From: Florian Weimer <fweimer@...hat.com>
To: Aleksa Sarai <cyphar@...har.com>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com,  dev@...ncontainers.org, Christian Brauner <christian.brauner@...ntu.com>
Subject: Re: CVE-2019-5736: runc container breakout (all versions)

* Aleksa Sarai:

> +	memfd = memfd_create(MEMFD_COMMENT, MFD_CLOEXEC|MFD_ALLOW_SEALING);
> +	if (memfd < 0)
> +		goto err_binfd;

Is it really necessary to use a memfd_create here?  Do you really need
sealing?  It's a bit odd to add a new system call dependency in a
security update.  The ability fexecve a memfd descriptor is also rather
odd.  I wouldn't have expected execute permissions on memfd descriptors,
so this sounds like a kernel bug (which now can't be fixed).

I saw some other patch with a O_TMPFILE replacement.  Does this really
work?  It's possible to create a new name with linkat, so that's not a
real win security-wise.  Could you just make a copy, under a different
owner, and not care how it is going to be modified?

Thanks,
Florian