Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2019 18:13:25 +0000
From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings@...ethink.co.uk>
To: Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@...ian.org>, Timothy Michaud <tmm08a@....edu>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Linux Kernel: Missing access_ok() checks in IOCTL function
 (gpu/drm/i915 Driver)

On Thu, 2019-01-24 at 10:30 +0100, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On Wed, 2019-01-23 at 14:28 -0600, Timothy Michaud wrote:
> > NOTE: I have requested a CVE identifier, and I'm sending this message, to
> > make tracking of the fix easier; however, to avoid missing security fixes
> > without CVE identifiers, you should *NOT* be cherry-picking a specific
> > patch in response to a notification about a kernel security bug.
> >
> > Due to a lack of "access_ok()" checks in i915_gem_execbuffer2_ioctl[1], it
> > is possible to escalate privileges similar to the waitid vulnerability[2]
>
> Hi, thanks for the report.
>
> The patch doesn't seem CC: stable, could you give us a status on the various
> stable releases?

Is there even a real security issue here?  So far as I can see,
i915_gem_execbuffer2_ioctl() writes to a subset of the user memory
range that it previously read using copy_from_user().  copy_from_user()
does include the range check.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Software Developer                         Codethink Ltd
https://www.codethink.co.uk/                 Dale House, 35 Dale Street