Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2019 11:21:27 +0100
From: nisse@...ator.liu.se (Niels Möller)
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Disabling ptrace

Jakub Wilk <jwilk@...lk.net> writes:

> * Niels Möller <nisse@...ator.liu.se>, 2019-01-01, 12:27:
>>Matthew Fernandez <matthew.fernandez@...il.com> writes:
>>> E.g. you can attach to the victim process with gdb/ptrace and
>>> simply read its memory, if the sysadmin has not blocked this with
>>> Yama or similar.
>>
>> I think one can disable this in the process itself, using prctl with
>> PR_SET_DUMPABLE. But documentation is a bit unclear and doesn't
>> exlicitly mention effect on ptrace
>
> The prctl(2) man page reads: “Processes that are not dumpable can not
> be attached via ptrace(2) PTRACE_ATTACH; see ptrace(2) for further
> details.”

Thanks, I somehow missed that. So prctl should be the right tool, then.

>>(and other debugging interfaces).
>
> What other interfaces do you have in mind?

I had the impression that ptrace was old-fashined, and that current gdb
used other interfaces via /proc (with permissions also affected by
prctl). But I may be mistaken; I've never looked into those details.

Regards,
/Niels

--
Niels Möller. PGP-encrypted email is preferred. Keyid 368C6677.