Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2018 18:38:36 -0800
From: Matthew Fernandez <matthew.fernandez@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Jeffrey Walton <noloader@...il.com>,
 gmp-bugs@...lib.org
Subject: Re: Asserts considered harmful (or GMP spills its
 sensitive information)

> On Dec 31, 2018, at 11:38, Jeffrey Walton <noloader@...il.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 2:16 PM Vincent Lefevre <vincent@...c17.net <mailto:vincent@...c17.net>> wrote:
>>
>> On 2018-12-31 13:03:27 -0500, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>
>>> This is the first point of unwanted data egress. Sensitive information
>>> like user passwords and keys can be written to the filesystem
>>> unprotected.
>>
>> This can occur with any program, even not using asserts, e.g. due to
>> a segmentation fault (which may happen as a consequence of not using
>> asserts, with possibly worse consequences).
>>
>> If you don't want a core file, then you can instruct the kernel not
>> to write a core file. See getrlimit.
>
> To play devil's advocate again, that strategy requires every user to
> have the knowledge. If RTFM was going to worked, It should have
> happened in the last 50 years or so.
>
> Refusing to process the data and failing the API call requires no
> knowledge on the user's part.

I don’t have a dog in this fight, but you referenced high integrity software (though I guess what is meant is confidentiality rather than integrity in this case) and then say we cannot rely on people to RTFM. While I don’t doubt there are users who will fail to understand the consequences of having core dumps enabled, this is just one of many ways to leak information in a non-hardened system. E.g. you can attach to the victim process with gdb/ptrace and simply read its memory, if the sysadmin has not blocked this with Yama or similar. Could you elaborate on the threat model you have in mind?