Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 16:11:34 +0100
From: Jann Horn <jannh@...gle.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Linux kernel: TLB flush happens too late on mremap (CVE-2018-18281;
 fixed in 4.9.135, 4.14.78, 4.18.16, 4.19)

NOTE: I have requested a CVE identifier, and I'm sending this message,
to make tracking of the fix easier; however, to avoid missing security
fixes without CVE identifiers, you should *NOT* be cherry-picking a
specific patch in response to a notification about a kernel security
bug.

Since Linux kernel version 3.2, the mremap() syscall performs TLB
flushes after dropping pagetable locks. If a syscall such as
ftruncate() removes entries from the pagetables of a task that is in
the middle of mremap(), a stale TLB entry can remain for a short time
that permits access to a physical page after it has been released back
to the page allocator and reused.

This is CVE-2018-18281.

This is fixed in the following kernel versions:
4.9.135
4.14.78
4.18.16
4.19