Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 08:49:35 -0700
From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@...y.loosely.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: ghostscript: bypassing executeonly to escape -dSAFER sandbox
 (CVE-2018-17961)

On 2018-10-10 14:53, Hanno Böck wrote:

> evince installs a thumbnail entry to
> /usr/share/thumbnailers
>
> This is a generic location where applications can install files (I
> believe they follow the .desktop specification, which is an ini-based
> format). This is thus not nautilus-specific, but every filemanager that
> uses this format will be affected. A quick googling tells me e.g.
> pcmanfm is also affected. I'm not sure if dolphin uses them as well.

It seems to be a bug that this directory is under /usr/share, and not
under /etc where admins could modify it to selectively disable things.  I
checked and there is no parallel /etc/thumbnailers directory to drop
overriding entries into - though maybe ~/.local/share/thumbnailers would
work?  But already the fact that I have to guess is a bug :-(

By the way, on fedora the /usr/share/thumbnailers entry indeed does
belong to the evince package, but there is a separate evince-nautilus
package and its description says:

: This package contains the evince extension for the nautilus file manager.
: It adds an additional tab called "Document" to the file properties dialog.

Do you think that removing evince-nautilus would eliminate the nautilus
attack vector at least?