Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 17:04:18 +0200
From: Hanno Böck <hanno@...eck.de>
To: Eddie Chapman <eddie@...k.net>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: ghostscript: bypassing executeonly to escape
 -dSAFER sandbox (CVE-2018-17961)

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 15:36:52 +0100
Eddie Chapman <eddie@...k.net> wrote:

> But I'm still unclear how "just browsing a website is enough to
> trigger the vulnerability in some common configurations." Are we
> talking about the user looking in their web browser cache directory
> on the filesystem using Nautilus, and hence running malicious code
> embedded in a cached file via the evince thumbnailer on opening that
> directory? Or maybe Nautilus/Gnome automatically runs the thumbnailer
> on every new file created in the user's home directory (via
> inotify?), including whatever the browser saves in the background
> (hopefully not)? Or is it just a case of the user opening a
> downloaded file with evince and becoming a victim that way? Though
> that is not exactly automatic, most browsers show a prompt asking
> what to do with a downloaded file.

I don't know what exactly Tavis was referring to, but a scenario that
has been discussed in the past and likely is still possible in many
configurations is this:
Some browsers (notably chrome) will download files without asking in
their default configuration. So a site can make you download a file and
it ends up in your ~/Downloads dir.

Desktop search tools will automatically index that (tracker from gnome,
baloo from kde). So voila - you can fire up an exploit if you can
exploit anything that tracker or baloo support.

https://scarybeastsecurity.blogspot.com/2016/11/0day-poc-risky-design-decisions-in.html

Though I'm not sure if either of them uses ghostscript, a quick check
it seems that not. You still have the automatic download issue in
chrome, but you'd need to convince your user to open up ~/Downloads in
a file manager. That's a minor not-fully-automatic part, but I guess
it's plausible enough that users will eventually do that at some point.

--
Hanno Böck
https://hboeck.de/

mail/jabber: hanno@...eck.de
GPG: FE73757FA60E4E21B937579FA5880072BBB51E42