Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 10:10:58 +0100
From: Eddie Chapman <eddie@...k.net>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, Tavis Ormandy <taviso@...gle.com>
Subject: Re: ghostscript: bypassing executeonly to escape
 -dSAFER sandbox (CVE-2018-17961)

On 09/10/18 14:58, Tavis Ormandy wrote:
>  Because nautilus will automatically invoke
> evince-thumbnailer without any user-interaction, just browsing a website
> is enough to trigger the vulnerability in some common configurations.

While the vulnerability in ghostscript itself is clear in this thread,
does anyone have any more info on the above aspect of this? i.e is the
above scenario (inadvertently running postscript, perhaps contained in
an image, through ghostscript by just browsing a malicious site) limited
to just nautilus in gnome environments? Do other browsers/environments
handle this better or do they do similar? It seems that, strictly
speaking, the "critical" nature of this vulnerability hinges on the
behaviour of the browser/desktop environment. Otherwise the scope is
limited to an individual manually downloading a postscript file and
opening it outside of the browser.

Apologies if I'm missing anything obvious or if this has been covered
elsewhere online.