Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 18:55:16 -0700
From: Justin Ferguson <jnferguson@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: bounties

note to moderator: the last paragraph is likely what you'd like to
read first, then the remainder of the exchange

> As someone handling intake of suspected vulnerability reports for a
> large community of free/libre open source software projects, I've
> seen another side of it. The projects I work on have been
> incorrectly added and re-added to lists of supposed bug bounty
> targets over the years, and it's caused us to deal with floods of
> useless reports from everyone who can figure out how to run a static
> code analyzer, fuzzer or vulnerability scanner (and also people who
> can't even figure out the difference between the projects and the
> code which powers their community Web sites).

Well this is a different situation overall, but what I would say is
that when you engage in one of the clearing houses that you are
engaging in a business transaction. A lot of companies do this so that
they don't have to pay for a full local security team and bill it as a
cheaper alternative. That they then have to deal with a lot of cruft
doesn't really alleviate their responsibilities-- so the vendor wants
their cake and to eat it to essentially.

In all of my years, I've actually only had a single entity do really
what they were supposed to do when receiving a submission: OpenBSD.
While looking for something else I ran across a vulnerability in their
IKEd implementation that was an issue with a return value checked
incorrectly on a cryptographic hash verification. I wasn't soliciting
money or even a CVE, I was just reporting an issue to them. Under such
conditions, most vendors seem to want to brow beat you into doing
their work for them despite the obviousness of the issue. The OpenBSD
team just said "oh you're right" and patched their issue.

> I have much more interest in dealing with reports of
> suspected vulnerabilities from engaged users of the software than
> from people out to make a quick buck, disinterested in even
> following up enough on the bugs they think they've found to
> determine they're unreachable cruft or even intentional features of
> the software.

Well your circumstances are different, and this is where Alexander was
entirely spot on in his commentary about OSS. One of the things
removed outlined that I've had some fair amount of issues in
traditional employment as a byproduct of what's been termed as a
"distributed denial of service" attack (there's a lot of political
context that I am leaving out, I've never participated in a DDoS or
anything of the sort but as we all know from our own industry there's
a lot of budget in security and so sometimes things don't necessarily
have to have much to do with a particular/person).

As a result, I've dabbled in augmenting my income through bounties--
it seems reasonable, it's something I should be able to do, I'm not
submitting ASAN output or running AFL and handing a bunch of cruft
over. In the most recent instance, when I task switched to something
more pressing, I handed over data from things I wasn't even looking
for but noticed while I was trying to find the parsers in a myriad of
DLLs and similar as a courtesy to the vendor and their customers. For
instance, while trying to discern an aspect about the usage of
UNICODE_STRING structures as part of trying to discern whether there
was a basic buffer overflow in command line processing accessible only
via a pipe that exchanges JSON (privsep essentially), I triggered a
null pointer dereference in the kernel. I briefly looked at it,
discerned that it was a null pointer dereference and put it away while
continuing to sort through the binaries towards what I was attempting
to focus on.

When I changed tasks, I submitted a couple IDA screenshots, the
program that at the time was triggering a BSoD consistently, a brief
explanation of each, excerpts of the crash dump and explained that I
didn't necessarily expect to be paid money and was submitting partial
work as a courtesy to their customers.

Over the next two months, I would intermittently receive "are you
going to do my job for me?" type responses while the vendor ignored my
basic questions-- "does the PoC not trigger a BSoD for you?"
continually solicited commentary that was carefully worded and avoided
answering the question "We don't see any reason why this section of
code would have that problem" essentially.

Eventually I suggested after being poked repeatedly on the matter,
something I clearly had moved on from and repeatedly stated as such,
that moving forward I should probably just post anything I find of
theirs on FD, which not only solicited commentary about my being
'unethical', but then follow-ups about my ethics from the clearing
house. For the record, this clearing house maintains a director of
security that I used to be employed with at a company that once tried
to sell an OpenSSL bug to the CIA and wanted to do so without any sort
of customer notification-- they equally put into my contract after
telling me that they were a small company that couldn't afford a
pay-rate over $70k a year (they absolutely can) that I needed to find
and write and sell to the United States Government 12 exploits a year,
in order to qualify for the pay rate that they were giving everyone
else-- so I find being told I am unethical a little annoying.

After this point, I reviewed the finding that they couldn't find a
reason why the null pointer dereference would occur and found pretty
quickly essentially the following code construct:

bool
function afunction(T** ptr) {
    if (ptr)
        if (!
doComplexActionThatIsHighlyDependentUponOverallSystemState(ptr))
            return false;
    if (! *ptr)
        return true;
    if (!
doComplexActionThatIsHighlyDependentUponOverallSystemState(*ptr))
        return false;
if (! afunction(ptr))
    return false;
if (*ptr == 0x22) <- null pointer dereference here

Thus, they pretty clearly didn't even look at their code, and because
of EULAs and ToS, I cannot really discuss that I've had this and
similar issues in almost/100% of bounty submissions, so they're sort
of just acting as inhibitors to security sometimes.

Because of my industry experience, I have a hinting suspicion, and I
don't think this finding is an example of it, but I have a hinting
suspicion that they're being used to some extent by my governments
intelligence community-- when I worked as part of a JTF that included
NSA personnel, Microsoft was providing them with a "beta patch" that
provided them verified exploitable bugs reported to them with
reproduction instructions under the pretext of beta testing patches
before release-- "-Xday" if you will (as opposed to 0day). As noted
above, I've had other security vendors explicitly sell or attempt to
sell vulnerabilities to our intelligence services, an IPS vendor I
previously worked for had some amount of issues reported to vendors
that would sort of just vanish and I specifically enumerated a
particular Active Directory report.

I noticed another entity, OSTIF (https://ostif.org) previously claimed
that they were having issues with Google Mail servers that appeared to
be server side, I noticed it because I've experienced similar myself.
Moreover, I had problems when researching breaking of Google
recaptcha's that twice over an extensive period of time that when I
started working on breaking the that Google then made minor tweaks and
variations that broke or impacted the research. In review, other
researchers have had similar experiences and while there is nothing
conclusive, I was at the time conversing with a private party over
Google email about the subject.

Thus I am asking in a larger context about other peoples experiences
with such things, and while I would agree that this subject matter is
not particularly on-topic for the list, I would think that there
effectively are not unmoderated lists, no place to really ask this
question in a substantial manner despite the importance of it, and of
crowd-sourcing other peoples experiences would be concerning to an
industry as a whole.