Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 10:00:26 -0500 (CDT)
From: Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@...ple.dallas.tx.us>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: More Ghostscript Issues: Should we disable
 PS coders in policy.xml by default?

On Tue, 21 Aug 2018, Tavis Ormandy wrote:

> I think those thumbnails should be disabled, but you've probably noticed I
> think everything related to untrusted ghostscript should be disabled :-)

I have posted to the GraphicsMagick Announcements mailing list
regarding your findings (with a link to this list) and suggested that
a fool-proof solution is that Ghostscript should be uninstalled.

Uninstalling Ghostscript entirely might cause software using libgs to
not execute at all unless a stub library is put in its place.

Dependencies on Ghostscript are much larger than one would initially
think due to Postscript being the traditional output from Unix
software for "printing" and thus it is used as an intermediate format
in order to convert between formats.  EPS content is also embedded in
some other formats.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn