Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 17:42:42 +0100
From: Pete Batard <pete@...o.ie>
To: Stefan Kanthak <stefan.kanthak@...go.de>, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE request: rufus

Hi Stefan,

Thank you very much for your very depreciative and less than informative
report.

Since a vulnerability report works a lot better with an actual
exploitation scenario conducted with the actual application, that we can
look into, we will be waiting on that from you.

Also, FYI, we did apply mitigation for #1 (DLL sideloading attacks) very
shortly after the time it became publicized:
https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/commit/8473e9ef561295fd10dd9526010c1fd1cb1e6701

And of course, with proper non disparaging involvement of security
researchers, who subscribe to the established responsible disclosure
policy of their profession, we are always eager to improve on our
mitigation fixes, if it turns out they aren't adequate.

However, we would appreciate if you refrained from jumping to erroneous
conclusion about Rufus development being conducted by "bloody
beginners", when it is clear that some of the "beginner's"
vulnerabilities you list have long had some mitigation factors applied.

All the best,

/Pete