Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 14:14:11 -0400
From: Nick Bowler <nbowler@...conx.ca>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: Fw: Security risk of vim swap files

On 2017-11-03, Scott Court <z5t1@...1.com> wrote:
> I have refined the vimrc changes that I originally posted (with the help
> of Christian) and have found appending the following to your vimrc be a
> decent way to mitigate against all known forms of this attack until a
> proper patch is released:
>
> " Move the swap file location to protect against CVE-2017-1000382
> " More information at
> http://security.cucumberlinux.com/security/details.php?id=120
> " A big thanks goes to Christian Brabandt (cb@...bit.org)
> " for helping with this fix.
> if ! isdirectory("~/.vim/swap/")
>         silent !install -d -m 700 ~/.vim/swap/ 2>&1 > /dev/null
> endif
> set directory=~/.vim/swap//
>
> The only drawback to this approach is that it eliminates the warning
> when multiple users attempt to edit the same file at the same time;
> however, this seems preferable to the alternative of being vulnerable.

This is not the "only drawback".  Among other things, such configuration
fails very badly when network mounts are involved.

 - If the swap directory is shared between multiple hosts (e.g., $HOME
   is NFS-mounted), then you will get false positives when editing files
   that happen to share a filename on different hosts.

 - If the file being edited is shared between multiple hosts, then you
   will get false negatives when trying to edit that file from different
   hosts.

Or a combination of the two scenarios.  In the default mode, network
mounts basically work as expected because the swapfile location is
shared the same way.

Cheers,
  Nick