Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 23:26:38 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Armis Security <security@...is.com>
Subject: Re: Linux BlueBorne vulnerabilities

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 08:14:03PM +0000, Armis Security wrote:
> On August 15th we have contacted one of the senior maintiners of BlueZ and
> attempted to establish a longer embargo period with him. Unfortunatelly his
> suggestion was to post our findings to linux-bluetooth@...r.kernel.org,
> which is a public mailing list.

While I understand you not wanting to post to a public mailing list
right away, why exactly would you have wanted a longer embargo than e.g.
linux-distros' maximum of 14 days?

> So we decided to disclose our findings to the secure mailing list that
> unfortunatelly only have a maximum of 7 days embargo periods.

You're probably referring to the Linux kernel security list.  7 days
sounds like a reasonable embargo period to me, but if you really wanted
more, you could get up to 14 by first contacting linux-distros only, and
then bringing the issue to the Linux kernel security list in no more
than 7 days to the planned public disclosure.

> I am happy to hear the red hat security team allows for longer embargo
> periods, and we will contact you directly in the future.

I hope you will only go for a longer embargo when there's actually a
good reason for that.  There might or might not have been in this case.

Alexander