Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 12:55:16 -0700
From: Seth Arnold <seth.arnold@...onical.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: accepting new members to (linux-)distros lists

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 03:22:09PM +0200, Solar Designer wrote:

> No volunteers so far?  I know some of you are actually helping with
> these, but I'd prefer that you explicitly take responsibility for them.

I didn't volunteer for the things that I've already done on occasion.
Since I'm on the west coast of the united states and tend to sleep in and
work late (and spend entirely too much time in mutt already) I'm often the
first to spot new postings to the list if made during a few hour window.

In those hours I'll let people know their post made it through the list.
(This is common practice on the list since the anti-spam setup just
drops mails that lack [vs] or [vs-plain] in the Subject: line. Frequent
posters who aren't subscribed know to look for confirmation mails from
list readers to see if their posts made it through and re-send if they
don't get a reply.)

But this window really only works a few hours each day, a few days each
week. If I _sign up_ for this task, the other 160 hours each week would
get worse.

Communally shared tasks have felt fine to me so far. Yes they often fall
to you, but not always. And if you weren't always attached to your MUA,
perhaps it wouldn't always fall to you either. :)

Thanks

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (474 bytes)