Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2017 12:51:50 +0300
From: Jerome Athias <athiasjerome@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Dealing with CVEs that apply to unspecified
 package versions

We also have this "Is File Version Comparison Sufficient Over Time?"
discussion in the OVAL Developer ml.
Yes, a reference to a commit is good to have, if you have time/resources
for manual vulnerability analysis
There is a trade-off, but I guess the point here is more on how to increase
automation for mitigation/remediation of software vulnerabilities.
Operation Rosehub is one example illustrating why it's important