Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 12:17:53 -0400
From: Stiepan <stie@....swiss>
To: "oss-security@...ts.openwall.com" <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>, "857295@...s.debian.org" <857295@...s.debian.org>
Cc: Stéphane Graber <stgraber@...ntu.com>, serge.hallyn@...ntu.com
Subject: Re: LXC: CVE-2017-5985: lxc-user-nic didn't verify network namespace ownership

You are welcome. As stated in my reply to Serge H. Hallyn's off-list message, in the meantime I have installed version 2.0.7 from jessie-backports and am unable to reproduce the issue, as I cannot start unprivileged containers anymore (due to a network error). According to Debian's tracker page for lxc, the version that I have installed from backports is 2.0.7-1, which does not include latest upstream fixes. I guess that I have to wait for the 2.0.7-2 package - which includes latest upstream fixes - to land in jessie-backports for these issues (both security and functional) to be fixed.

CC-ing the Debian address for this bug, as they explicitly asked to do this in case there is a need to reopen the Debian bug, which seems to be the case here (at least, for Jessie, since the intermediary 2.0.7-1 .deb apparently breaks unprivileged networking, besides not fixing the security issue).
To the Debian team in charge of this bug:
As unprivileged mode is not activated by default on Debian, I understand that this is not a priority, but it would still be nice to have this fixed quickly.
By the way, not directly related to this specific bug, but I hope that snapd + LXD somehow finds its way into jessie-backports: that would be great!

Stiepan