Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 10:22:47 -0500
From: <cve-assign@...re.org>
To: <dx@...one.com.ar>
CC: <cve-assign@...re.org>, <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: CVE Request - Remote DoS vulnerabilities in BitlBee

> I've just released BitlBee 3.5.1 which includes fixes for these issues:
>
> a) bitlbee-libpurple: Use after free when expiring file transfer requests.
> b) Null pointer dereference with file transfer request from unknown contacts.
> c) Incomplete fix for issue (b), which left bitlbee-libpurple affected.
>
> I have already requested three CVEs to the distros mailing list when
> the issue was not public, but did not receive any reply at the time of
> this writing. If it is appropriate, I'd like to request them in this
> list instead.
>
> The first two were already public (fixed in 3.5, released 2017-01-08) but were
> not considered security issues before. The third issue is what 3.5.1
> fixes.

> https://bugs.bitlbee.org/ticket/1281
>
> # bitlbee-libpurple: Use after free when expiring file transfer requests
>
> Pending file transfer requests expire after 120 seconds, which may
> result in use after free if the corresponding account is disconnected.
> A malicious remote server could force this disconnection.
>
> This results in denial of service (remote crash of the BitlBee
> instance), or remote code execution (theoretically).
>
> * Authentication: None
>
> ## Unaffected versions
>
> bitlbee (non-libpurple builds), any version
>
> bitlbee-libpurple 3.5
>
> This affects any libpurple protocol when used through BitlBee. It does
> not affect other libpurple-based clients such as pidgin.
>
> This is a very visible issue - all file transfer request attempts and
> all disconnections will be logged in the control channel and visible
> by the targeted user. File transfer requests look like this:
>
>     <@root> [account] - File transfer request from [username] for [filename] (0 kb).
>     <@root> Accept the file transfer if you'd like the file. If you don't, issue the 'transfer reject' command.
>
> Cancelling the file transfer request using the "transfer reject"
> command before the disconnection happens can prevent this. However,
> using that command after the account is disconnected will result in an
> immediate crash.

> [] Original bugfix commit:
>
> https://github.com/bitlbee/bitlbee/commit/ea902752503fc5b356d6513911081ec932d804f2

Use CVE-2016-10188.

> https://bugs.bitlbee.org/ticket/1282
>
> # Null pointer dereference with file transfer request from unknown contacts
>
> Receiving a file transfer request from a contact not in the contact
> list results in a null pointer dereference, leading to remote DoS by
> malicious remote clients.
>
> * Authentication: None
>
> ## Unaffected versions
>
> bitlbee-libpurple 3.5.1 or newer
>
> bitlbee (non-libpurple builds) 3.5 or newer
>
> The issue from 3.4.2 and older only affects the jabber protocol, which
> is the only non-purple protocol which implements file transfers.
>
> The issue that is still present in 3.5 affects any libpurple protocol
> that implements file transfers when used through BitlBee. It does not
> affect other libpurple-based clients such as pidgin.
>
> There's no visible effect of the issue other than the crash.

> [] Incomplete fix commit included in 3.5:
>
> https://github.com/bitlbee/bitlbee/commit/701ab8129ba9ea64f569daedca9a8603abad740f

Use CVE-2016-10189 for the issue with Jabber file transfers that was
fixed by this commit.

> [] Libpurple specific bugfix commit included in 3.5.1:
>
> https://github.com/bitlbee/bitlbee/commit/30d598ce7cd3f136ee9d7097f39fa9818a272441

Use CVE-2017-5668.

CVE-2017-5668 exists because of an incomplete fix for CVE-2016-10189.

- --
CVE Assignment Team
M/S M300, 202 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730 USA
[ A PGP key is available for encrypted communications at
  http://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html ]