Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 00:47:31 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 11:48:46AM -0700, Kurt Seifried wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 7:37 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> > I also notice you've been on oss-security for half a year.  That's good.
> > However, I wasn't able to find any record of your past participation in
> > this specific community.  You might want to get more involved first.
>
> The problem is how do they do that? There are very few meaningful on ramps
> to information security, especially at the distribution level. If anyone
> has good answers for this please post here.

One way to do it could be through doing occasional security reviews of
upstream software that is also of relevance to other distros, and
sharing the findings (or even mere concerns and questions) in here (or
actually via the (linux-)distros list, if the findings are bad enough
and there's an expectation that a fix would be developed soon enough for
a few days of embargo to make a difference).

Arguably, the expertise that the above requires is not absolutely
necessary for pure downstream distros that could nevertheless benefit
their users through preparing security updates sooner (if accepted onto
the distros list).  Another way to get somewhat involved is what Sona
demonstrated through participation in and starting on-topic discussions
(beyond the membership requests), e.g.:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2016/12/14/16
http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2016/12/14/1
http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2016/10/10/3