Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 14:24:15 -0500
From: <cve-assign@...re.org>
To: <csmall@...ian.org>
CC: <cve-assign@...re.org>, <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: CVE Request: Wordpress: 8 security issues in 4.7

> https://wordpress.org/news/2017/01/wordpress-4-7-1-security-and-maintenance-release/
> https://codex.wordpress.org/Version_4.7.1

> Remote code execution (RCE) in PHPMailer - No specific issue appears to
> affect WordPress or any of the major plugins we investigated but, out of an
> abundance of caution, we updated PHPMailer in this release. This issue was
> reported to PHPMailer by Dawid Golunski and Paul Buonopane.
> (this is an extra fix for the CVE-2016-10066 and CVE-2016-10045, I'll
> leave it to you to decide if it is same ID or new)

There is no new CVE ID for this.

> The REST API exposed user data for all users who had authored a post of a
> public post type. WordPress 4.7.1 limits this to only post types which have
> specified that they should be shown within the REST API. Reported by
> Krogsgard and Chris Jean.
> https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress/commit/daf358983cc1ce0c77bf6d2de2ebbb43df2add60
> https://www.wordfence.com/blog/2016/12/wordfence-blocks-username-harvesting-via-new-rest-api-wp-4-7/

Use CVE-2017-5487.

> Cross-site scripting (XSS) via the plugin name or version header on
> update-core.php. Reported by Dominik Schilling of the WordPress Security
> Team.
> https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress/commit/c9ea1de1441bb3bda133bf72d513ca9de66566c2

Use CVE-2017-5488.

> Cross-site request forgery (CSRF) bypass via uploading a Flash file.
> Reported by Abdullah Hussam.

Use CVE-2017-5489.

> Cross-site scripting (XSS) via theme name fallback. Reported by Mehmet Ince.
> https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress/commit/ce7fb2934dd111e6353784852de8aea2a938b359
> https://www.mehmetince.net/low-severity-wordpress/

Use CVE-2017-5490.

> Post via email checks mail.example.com if default settings aren't changed.
> Reported by John Blackbourn of the WordPress Security Team.
> https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress/commit/061e8788814ac87706d8b95688df276fe3c8596a

Use CVE-2017-5491.

> A cross-site request forgery (CSRF) was discovered in the accessibility
> mode of widget editing. Reported by Ronnie Skansing.
> https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress/commit/03e5c0314aeffe6b27f4b98fef842bf0fb00c733

Use CVE-2017-5492.

> Weak cryptographic security for multisite activation key. Reported by Jack.
> https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress/commit/cea9e2dc62abf777e06b12ec4ad9d1aaa49b29f4

Use CVE-2017-5493.

- --
CVE Assignment Team
M/S M300, 202 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730 USA
[ A PGP key is available for encrypted communications at
  http://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html ]