Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 12:13:44 -0700
From: Tavis Ormandy <taviso@...gle.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: ago@...too.org, Assign a CVE Identifier <cve-assign@...re.org>
Subject: Re: Re: jasper: memory allocation failure in
 jas_malloc (jas_malloc.c)

On Sat, Oct 22, 2016 at 6:03 PM,  <cve-assign@...re.org> wrote:

>> https://blogs.gentoo.org/ago/2016/10/18/jasper-memory-allocation-failure-in-jas_malloc-jas_malloc-c
>>
>> AddressSanitizer failed to allocate 0x1000002000 bytes of LargeMmapAllocator
>>
>> 0x7f4f0474e170 in jas_malloc ... jasper-1.900.5/src/libjasper/base/jas_malloc.c:117:9
>> 0x7f4f04764b4f in bmp_getinfo ... jasper-1.900.5/src/libjasper/bmp/bmp_dec.c:297:25
>
> Use CVE-2016-8886.

I'm not sure I understand the concern here. Isn't it usually expected
that the administrator configures appropriate ulimits, and the code
should just handle allocation failure gracefully?

If we are considering *not* implementing arbitrary hardcoded limits a
security problem, that seems like a significant change in software
design philosophy (I've heard it called the zero-one-infinity rule
before).

Tavis.