Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2016 19:32:03 -0700
From: Reed Loden <reed@...dloden.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: steve@...lectiveidea.com, Assign a CVE Identifier <cve-assign@...re.org>
Subject: Re: Re: CVE request for code execution via gem name
 collission in bundler (was Re: CVE Request)

I asked the Bundler team about this issue since this seemed to be lacking
details. They said that they attempted to fix this generic issue in Bundler
1.7 (see
http://bundler.io/blog/2014/08/14/bundler-may-install-gems-from-a-different-source-than-expected-cve-2013-0334.html),
and they were able to fix most of the issues.

However, there are some edge cases, which I think Steve is referring to.
Specifically, see https://github.com/bundler/bundler/issues/3671.
Additionally, see also https://github.com/bundler/bundler/pull/3696
(failing spec that shows the issue) and
https://github.com/bundler/bundler/pull/4714 (PR where the issue was fixed,
but only on Bundler 2.x branch).

The team was never able to remove all possibilities of namespace collisions
while keeping the existing lockfile format, which is why the fix was only
on Bundler 2.x.

~reed