Date: Mon,  5 Sep 2016 18:45:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: cve-assign@...re.org
To: anarcat@...ian.org
Cc: cve-assign@...re.org, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE ID request: certificate spoofing through crafted SASL message in inspircd, charybdis

> inspircd published 2.0.23 that fixes an issue with SASL
> authentication. The details are here:
>
> http://www.inspircd.org/2016/09/03/v2023-released.html
>
> All versions are affected.

>> This release fixes a serious security vulnerability in m_sasl in
>> combination with any services that support SASL EXTERNAL. To be
>> vulnerable you must have m_sasl loaded, and have services which
>> support SASL EXTERNAL authentication.
>>
>> This vulnerability allows any attacker to spoof certificate
>> fingerprints via crafted SASL messages to the IRCd. This allows any
>> user to login as any other user that they know the certificate
>> fingerprint of, and that user has services configured to accept SASL
>> EXTERNAL login requests for.

>> https://github.com/inspircd/inspircd/commit/74fafb7f11b06747f69f182ad5e3769b665eea7a

>> https://www.irc.wiki/InspIRCd

>> InspIRCd is an IRC daemon written entirely from scratch, it is one
>> of the few IRC daemons to be written in C++

Use CVE-2016-7142 for this issue only in the InspIRCd codebase.

>> This bug appears more widespread than just InspIRCd, and seems to
>> affect most or all other implementations of SASL EXTERNAL, including
>> Charybdis and UnrealIRCd.

> It seems to also affect Charybdis, which fixed the issue in the
> upcoming 3.5.3 release:
>
> https://github.com/charybdis-ircd/charybdis/commit/818a3fda944b26d4814132cee14cfda4ea4aa824

Use CVE-2016-7143 for this issue only in the Charybdis codebase.

>> https://forums.unrealircd.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8588
>>
>> Security: SASL security issue (UnrealIRCd 4.0.6 & 3.2.10.7 released)
>>
>> A security issue was detected in a number of IRCd's, including
>> UnrealIRCd, regarding the way SASL is implemented.
>>
>> An attacker can send an SSL fingerprint of his choice to services when
>> doing SASL authentication. An attacker can compromise a services
>> account if the user has an SSL fingerprint stored in services.
>>
>> https://github.com/unrealircd/unrealircd/commit/f473e355e1dc422c4f019dbf86bc50ba1a34a766

Use CVE-2016-7144 for this issue only in the UnrealIRCd codebase.

(We realize that the file is m_sasl.c, the function is m_authenticate,
and the array is parv in both the Charybdis case and the UnrealIRCd
case, but we decided not to try to share a CVE ID between these two
products.)

- --
CVE Assignment Team
M/S M300, 202 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730 USA
[ A PGP key is available for encrypted communications at
  http://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html ]