Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 19:52:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: cve-assign@...re.org
To: asulfrian@...AT.FU-Berlin.DE
Cc: cve-assign@...re.org, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE request: flex: Buffer overflow in generated code (yy_get_next_buffer)

> flex upstream change some integer type in 2.5.36[1] to unsigned integer
> types (size_t). Especially the num_to_read variable in
> yy_get_next_buffer is critical, because the buffer is resized if this
> value is _less_ or equal to zero.
>
> With special crafted input it is possible, that the buffer is not
> resized if the input is larger than the default buffer size of 16k. This
> allows a heap buffer overflow.
>
> It may be also remote usable, it depends on the software that is build
> using flex. We noticed for example, that bogofilter segfaults sometimes
> depending on the incoming mail.
>
> Upstream already noticed that this may be a problem[2] but did not
> escalate it as a security issue.

Use CVE-2016-6354 for this num_to_read issue.

> Upstream also changed some other type
> back from size_t to int (for example in [3]) so maybe it is not
> sufficient to only change num_to_read back to int.
>
> The upstream fix is contained in 2.6.1, but there are more integer type
> fixes in the master branch of flex (currently not in a released
> version).
>
> As the issue is in the generated code during compile time, it is not
> sufficient to fix flex, but all binaries using flex as build-dependency
> may need a rebuild after fixing flex. Additionally there may be packages,
> that supply the generated source in the release-tar and do not use flex
> during building.

> 1: https://github.com/westes/flex/commit/9ba3187a537d6a58d345f2874d06087fd4050399
> 2: https://github.com/westes/flex/commit/a5cbe929ac3255d371e698f62dc256afe7006466
> 3: https://github.com/westes/flex/commit/7a7c3dfe1bcb8230447ba1656f926b4b4cdfc457

As far as we know, there has not been any discussion specifically
showing that there is a security issue associated with any of the
changes other than the num_to_read change. Accordingly, there are no
other CVE IDs at this time.

7a7c3dfe1bcb8230447ba1656f926b4b4cdfc457 refers to "sf 184, 187" - in other words,

  https://sourceforge.net/p/flex/bugs/184/
  https://sourceforge.net/p/flex/bugs/187/

Among the concerns cited is "POSIX mandates that yyleng has type int,
but flex defines it as yy_size_t. This breaks programs that use the
POSIX-compatible declaration." The MITRE CVE team has not been
studying 7a7c3dfe1bcb8230447ba1656f926b4b4cdfc457 or the mentioned
master-branch commits - the only point is that integer types sometimes
need to be changed without a security-related motivation.

- --
CVE Assignment Team
M/S M300, 202 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730 USA
[ A PGP key is available for encrypted communications at
  http://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html ]