Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 09:27:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: cve-assign@...re.org
To: andreas.stieger@...e.com
Cc: cve-assign@...re.org, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE request: multiple issues fixed in GNU libidn 1.33

> The GNU libidn 1.33 release was announced with the following:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-libidn/2016-07/msg00009.html

> ** libidn: Fix out-of-bounds stack read in idna_to_ascii_4i.
> See tests/tst_toascii64oob.c for regression check (and the comment in
> it how to use it). Reported by Hanno Boeck

> Test:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libidn.git/commit/?id=9a1a7e15d0706634971364493fbb06e77e74726c
> Fix:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libidn.git/commit/?id=f20ce1128fb7f4d33297eee307dddaf0f92ac72d
> Changelog:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libidn.git/commit/?id=d4c533a5d975bf49090d3cd40acd230b8f79dd32
> Follow-up memory leak fix:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libidn.git/commit/?id=11abd0e02c16f9e0b6944aea4ef0f2df44b42dd4

> lib/idna.c

Use CVE-2016-6261.

There is no CVE ID for a memory leak. The memory leak was a
consequence of the original fix, and was eliminated minutes later
during development.

> ** idn: Solve out-of-bounds-read when reading one zero byte as input.
> Also replaced fgets with getline. Reported by Hanno Boeck

idn is described at
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libidn.git/tree/src/idn.c as "Command
line interface to the internationalized domain name library." An
out-of-bounds read in a command-line program is not always security
relevant. Also, msg00009.html lists the various items as "Noteworthy
changes" and not specifically as security fixes. We think you might
mean that someone can use idn to convert a file, and then send the
converted file to an untrusted party. If there is an out-of-bounds
read, then the converted file might include arbitrary data from
process memory.

> Fix:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libidn.git/commit/?id=570e68886c41c2e765e6218cb317d9a9a447a041

Use CVE-2015-8948.

> Follow-up fix:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libidn.git/commit/?id=5e3cb9c7b5bf0ce665b9d68f5ddf095af5c9ba60

Use CVE-2016-6262.

> ** libidn: stringprep_utf8_nfkc_normalize reject invalid UTF-8.
> It was always documented to only accept UTF-8 data, but now it doesn't
> crash when presented with such data. Reported by Hanno Boeck.

> Test / Fix:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libidn.git/commit/?id=1fbee57ef3c72db2206dd87e4162108b2f425555
> Changelog:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libidn.git/commit/?id=1d2413555dcd1fef26b80445a00a4637965a2df0

> lib/nfkc.c

Use CVE-2016-6263.

- --
CVE Assignment Team
M/S M300, 202 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730 USA
[ A PGP key is available for encrypted communications at
  http://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html ]