Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 18:24:58 +0200
From: Michael Scherer <misc@...b.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: BitKeeper /tmp vulns

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 09:31:27AM -0600, Kurt Seifried wrote:
> Not found by me, mentioned on HackerNews:
>
> https://github.com/bitkeeper-scm/bitkeeper/blob/master/src/bk.sh#L485

Just to clarify, the vuln was not mentioned on HN, just the new about it being
under a free license. Then I did a git clone, and grep /tmp and pointed on internal
IRC that, as usual, there is a ton of /tmp issue (and then Kurt did see and asked where I did see it,
and answered on HN (to the question "bk is now opensource").

> BitKeeper is under Apache license so here it is.
>
> Also a quick look at the source shows a ton of other potential /tmp/ vulns,
> CC'ing bitkeeper security

for example:
https://github.com/bitkeeper-scm/bitkeeper/blob/master/src/utils/bk_version#L1563

There is also a few here:
https://github.com/bitkeeper-scm/bitkeeper/blob/master/src/utils/extractor.c

but that's the installation script, so unlikely to be exploitable.

Or in apply-patch, etc.

But there is also a few projects that are bundled (like zlib), and a few scripts that
are used only at installation and/or build time, so classifying everything is more
work than what I have time to devote for the project.

--
Michael Scherer